Since its launch in 2014,The African Centres of Excellence has undoubtedly proven productive in addressing challenges in the various thematic disciplines.
Latest M&E report shows that about 8,100 students have been enrolled under the ACE Project. Out of this number, 25% are female students and 25% registered as Regional students. Moreover, there are 1600 PhD students, 6,500 Masters students and 16,000 short courses students.
Also, over 87 partnerships have been made with other institutions and industries, USD 8.9 million external revenue generated, 1,005 Research publications and 1,820 faculty members and students have benefited from graduate internship Programmes.
Agriculture forms an integral part of Africa’s economy and as a result, Centers of Excellence under this discipline have sought to improve crop and animal production as well as create job opportunities in agribusiness . There are five(5) Centres of Excellence in Agriculture in the West African region.
West African Centre for Crop Improvement (WACCI)
- Three high yielding (9-11 t/ha) hybrid maize varieties developed by the Centre have been approved for release
- International accreditation of two of post graduate programmes
- With support from the World Bank, the Centre has trained over fifty PhD and MSc students
Center for Dryland Agriculture (CDA)
- Strategic partnerships with key institutions involved in dryland studies to execute research and development projects across Africa
- Regional representation of graduate students (7 African countries)
- Fish spawning and Breeding management techniques training as part of jobs creation and poverty alleviation programme
Centre d’Excellence Régional sur les Sciences Aviaires (CERSA)
- Built strong international and regional partnerships to improve poultry production in Africa
- MSc programmes accredited by Hcéres
- Trained about seventy-nine(79) MSc students and twenty-six(26) PhD students
The various centers in the Health discipline through applied research have helped improve health care in the region.
African Center of Excellence for Genomics of Infectious Diseases (ACEGID)
- Accurate diagnosis of the first case of Ebola in Sierra Leone and Nigeria in the 2014 EVD outbreak Developed Ebola virus rapid diagnostics test (RDT) for rapid diagnosis of the disease in 10mins.
African Center of Excellence for Neglected Tropical Diseases and Biotechnology (ACENTDFB)
- Establishment of core and specialized biotechnology research facility Establishment of a consortium of academic and research institutions and research experts drawn from several parts of the World with towards resolving problems of neglected tropical diseases
African Center of Excellence for Phytomedicine Research and Development (ACEPRD)
- Establishment of herbal farm for medicinal treatment of common tropical diseases. Research into medicinal plants for bioactive compounds; anti-snake venom vaccine research (GpMuc); antifungal products (Scabiplus). Sponsorship of Faculty and students to conferences/workshops to present research findings
As a potential for the positive transformation of Africa, the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Centers have partnered with Industries to improve their research towards making positive impact in the region.
Center of Excellence for Oilfeilds Chemical Research (CEFOR)
- Through partnerships with Industries, the Center’s laboratory facilities have been completed as well as a mini-modular refinery.
Regional Water and Environmental Sanitation Centre Kumasi (RWESCK)
- 12 partnership agreement signed with regional and local academic/industrial partners .
OAU ICT Driven Knowledge Park (OAK PARK)
- With assistance from Industry partners, 6 postgraduate laboratories have been established for cutting-edge research.